5 Favorite Games of All Time

play thousands of games free!

Evangelist

5 Favorite Games of All Time

Post by Evangelist » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:17 pm

Ok so, I found an old essay I did in college about my top 5 games of all time (I went to school for game programming.)

So I wont put the entire essay on here mostly because it is extremely long, but I'll share with you my favorites and why I chose them; and I want to see all of yours too. Here's a paraphrased version of my 5.

#5. Marvel vs Capcom 2:
- Great physics in a fighting game
- Proves that 2d sprites, images and renders can still be effective in gaming
- Very memorable characters, music, graphics and color

#4. XCOM: UFO Defense:
- An extremely well thought union of turn-based strategy and action
- Any action can have a reaction; this caused players to think and rethink actions
- Micromanagement is necessary, so fighting aliens is only half of the game
- Difficulty is brutal, but not impossible, and very entertaining
- Simple programming, sprites and textures, but effective game play

#3. Ecco The Dolphin:
- Proves that a non-violent game can be successful with any player
- Simple but powerful story of a dolphin that fights aliens to save his pod
- Some of the best music in a video game ever
- Fluid programming. Sprites, textures, renders and effects are excellent even at the 16-bit level

#2. Counter-Strike:
- Excellent example of massive multi-player online game
- Unlike other MMOGs, it requires no subscription fees, necessary updates, and players can choose where to play
- Very good weapon physics and hit detection
- Player created mods, models and skins can add personality to a player's tastes
- HL engine source code is fairly easy to work with (on the broad sense, I compared it to Unreal Engine)
- Gaming communities make the game much more enjoyable (I even named .40cal and DoF in this essay.) I also went on to comment that many of the people in my life that I call friends are people that I have never even met before, and probably may never meet.

#1. Doom:
- Very gory, and extremely satisfying game play, there is no equal
- Music is very memorable, and reminiscent of heavy metal
- Difficulty ranges from easy to impossible
- Frightening atmosphere including scenery, backgrounds, sprites, and images
- Was the first game I ever played on PC
- Straightforward story and objective: Kill everything, and escape to the next level
- Awesome re-playability
- Hundreds of user created WADs and mods, all free to play
- Game engine and coding is simple to manipulate
- This was a game you played when your parents went to the store and left you at home. I had a big rush playing this game, because I knew I wasn't supposed to. Now that I am older, I still feel that rush, it makes me feel like a kid again, saving mankind from evil hellspawn.

EDIT: Forgot to put my honorable mentions. I had to put 5 honorable mentions that may or may not have affected this list.

1. Deus Ex
2. Final Fantasy 8
3. Fallout
4. Police Quest: SWAT
5. Road Rash

ScorpioN

Re: 5 Favorite Games of All Time

Post by ScorpioN » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:32 am

5) Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
4) Soul Calibur II
3) League of Legends
2) Half-Life 2
1) Counter-Strike 1.6 - the ultimate game. step in the arena!

-=Brock*Samson=-

Post by -=Brock*Samson=- » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:00 am

For me, I think it's:

5. Street Fighter II - *THE* classic 2-D fighting game. I used to spend hours in the arcade playing this, sometimes all on one quarter. This game may be more responsible for me being a gamer than any other.

4. Ratchet and Clank (the whole series) - Hilarious and imaginative. Non-stop fun, all the way. Even the old PS2 games still stand the test of time, and the PS3 ones are incredible.

3. Uncharted (1, 2, and 3 are all fantastic) - Wow. Great story-telling and dialogue, superb gameplay. Equal parts F.P.S., adventure, and puzzle-solver with a solid plot and a great sense of humor. It's almost like watching an interactive Indiana Jones movie.

2. Counterstrike - The game I have played more than any other. 12 or 13 years is LONG time to play any game. All the different mods and online gameplay make for a new experience every time.

1. Dark Souls - This game is absolutely amazing on every level! Challenging, engaging, incredibly well thought-out and executed. Quite simply, the best console game ever! An incredible experience as a 1-player campaign game or an interactive online game. I can not say enough good things about this one. If you have never played it, and you like games like God of War, Skyrim, Dragon Age, Onimusha, etc., do yourself a favor and check this one out!

Franchesssss

Post by Franchesssss » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:22 am

For My 5 Favorite Game of All Time no order:

5. Civilization (PC, PS3, SNES, PS1) - A good strategic game for me to play when I'm just trying to touch up on my history, or make a history of my own.

4. Final Fantasty Series (SNES, PS1, PS2, PS3) - A fantasy rpg that has the fun to the riches of the Chocobos to downright funny Moogles.

3. Dynasty Warriors Series (PS1, PS2, PS3) - Hack and Slash, I love the story, the action. It's so simple to play to me that I just can't stop playing it.

2. Counter-Strike/ Unreal Tournament (PC, Xbox, PS2, Xbox 360) - For Counter-Strike one of the best First-Person shooters of all time and as for Unreal Tournament a game that just brought first-person deathmatche games to whole another level.

1.Sims (PC) - I might get some weird responses on this, but don't get me wrong. When I first started playing the first one, I was confused what I was playing, but then when I started playing it a lot more and getting the 2nd one, it just came addicting and I guess you can say it was fun to play, playing with peoples lives ruining them and making them happy.

If this list was longer I would've put:

1. Kingdom Hearts Series
2. Sim City Series
3. Street Fighter Series (Yup I'm a Capcom Guy)
4. Ace Attorney Series
5. Resident Evil Series
6. WWE Series
7. Metal Gear Series

I can keep on going but I'll stop it there.....

DotA

Post by DotA » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:12 am

5. Gran Turismo 3 (PS2)
4. Kingdom Hearts 1 (PS2)
3. Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2)
2. Deus Ex: Human Revolution (PS3)
1. Final Fantasy 7 (PS1)

Honorable mention would be the Batman Series, but if they only took a big more time to get rid of all the damn glitches. Come on, its PS3, You can clearly see all the bugs/glitches in the game lol.
MarioBros.: What about yourself?
DotA: eh I never count my self.
MarioBros.: Why?
DotA: Because I tend to think there is always someone better.
MarioBros.: Because you cant win in GG?
DotA: >_>....

Return to “Game Center!”