ScorpioN's Guide to Basic Counter-Strike

whats your strategy?

ScorpioN

Post by ScorpioN » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:31 am

I started playing CS 1.6 a few years ago, really lost and pretty bad not knowing what to do. During my freshman year of college, my roommate was a CAL-M player so he gave me a few pointers that I wish to share with everybody today -

Aiming:
- 2-round bursts to the head with AK/M4, waiting between recoils
- Why 2-round bursts? If you test a 3-round burst of an AK against an empty wall, you'll notice that the first 2 shots are really close together with the 3rd shot recoiling off target. Test this at different distances as well.
- "1-deag," go for that headshot with the deagle! Like the rifles, the deagle needs time to settle on recoil also.
- Do not run and shoot at the same time. Stop to shoot, it reduces recoil.

Strafe-Shoot:
- A technique used in far distance AK/M4 engagements
- Execution of Strafe-Shoot: Initially shoot a 2-round burst (aimed at head), then walk left [A] for 2 steps, then stop immediately with the opposite direction key [D, in this case.] Shoot a 2-round burst from your AK/M4 again. Rinse and repeat, strafing right first this time and stopping immediately.
- On your keyboard it will be as follows: Burst, [A] for 2 steps, then immediately stop with [D], pause for Burst, [D] for 2 steps, then immediately stop with [A], then pause to Burst again.
** This technique is best practiced on an Aim map such as, aim_ak-colt
- Strafing left and right between 2-shot bursts merely allows you not to be a "sitting duck" while waiting for your AK/M4 to settle down from recoil.

Walking Around The Map:
- Walk with your gun pointed at head level, so when you turn a corner u can "pop a cap" and get dat Headshot.
- You can use your teammates at the start of the round to "gauge" where the exact head level is.
** All too often I have seen CS players walking around the map with their gun pointed at the ground. Walk with your gun pointed at HEAD LEVEL and nothing else. This is key.
*** You can usually tell a player is new to CS if he/she is not walking with their gun pointed at exactly head-level.

Spray 'n Pray:
- In close quarters it may be beneficial to spray instead of 2-shot bursts
- Crouch + Spray at their chest. [make this an immediate reflex reaction, muscle memory.]
- "Spraying" entails dragging your mouse down to compensate for recoil, and moving your mouse horizontally back and forth quickly
- Practice on an empty wall such as de_dust to see the spray pattern of your gun. You should spray a roughly horizontal row of bullets back and forth with your AK/M4
- Follow the bullets with your eyes, and spray your bullets at the enemy's chest/head

Audio (Listening to Footsteps):
- Wearing headphones will drastically improve your gameplay. It does not matter what type of headphones you use. (for the record, I use my iPod headphones lol).
- You can see a long distance across the map on your screen, but you can't "see" around walls (unless you are hacking...)
- With headphones, you can pretty much "see" through the wall by listening to your opponent's footsteps. This is especially necessary for late-game when half your team is dead and it is either "hunt or be hunted."
- When you hear your opponent coming, get ready to Crouch + Spray at their chest on reflex

AWP-ing: "It's all about the angles."
- First off, your sniper rifle should NEVER be zoomed all the way 2x. Keep it at half-zoom 1x.
- Use quickswitch [Q] to switch out of scope quickly
- Use the SpawN-Jump to surprise your opponents. Similar to the strafe shoot, you can move in a direction, jump, and press the opposite direction key to make you immediately stop in place without movement. Here's a video for what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl3OgxNSJgQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Angles: It's best if you intercept your opponent at a 45 degree angle relative to the direction he is running. Your enemy will appear "slower" on the AWP's scope and you will have an easier time sniping. This may be confusing so I'll provide an example:
Let's say Terrorists are coming down Long-A in de_dust 2. If you are AWP-ing, its best to wait behind the crates near the bombsite so you intercept the running Terrorists at a 45 degree angle.
"It's all about the angles."
"It's all about the angles."
AWP Angles.png (9.88 KiB) Viewed 16334 times
Why does the enemy appear "slower" on the AWP's scope when intercepting an enemy at a 45 degree angle?
- Well, it has to do mainly with physics and vectors. Intercepting your opponent at a 45 degree angle reduces their observed movement velocity in one direction (say y-axis) and transfers their observed movement velocity to the other axis, in this case x-axis. Notice this only reduces the opponent's observed velocity relative to the sniper only. They are still running at the same speed but their speed is "slowed down" while viewing through your AWP's scope.
- (The term velocity and not speed is used because velocity has both magnitude and direction components)
- Counter-Strike is an incredibly realistic game; as you may have realized, it doesn't take much to kill you. Accuracy of shot placement is a necessity.
** Important Note: The 45-degree angle works not only with the AWP, but also with the AK/M4. Any of the CS guns in general.

Training:
- Deathmatch servers, master 4 weapons in this order:
1. AK
2. M4A1
3. Deagle
4. AWP (optional, you will not be buying this in scrims often unless you are the desginated sniper)
-- Train the AK first because the 2-shot burst to the head is more lethal than an M4's - which often leaves your opponent with a few health left. (You will hear their helmet dink but they still don't die. That's a 2-shot burst from an M4.)
-- Mastering the AK 2-shot burst headshot is crucial as foundation
-- If you own Condition Zero, practice against 10 Bots armed only with knives. Freeze them (with bot_stop 1 in your console, bind this to a key), then practice your headshots with the AK/M4/Deagle
-- Condition Zero Bot-Training Console binds:
bind i "bot_stop 1"
bind n "bot_kill"

MISC:
- You will not take damage jumping into water, no matter how high the jump.
- If you own CS: Condition Zero, your models will be replaced by the CZ models. I suggest replacing CZ models with the original CS 1.6 models because I feel like a lot of times, my headshots just "go through" the CZ models when I'm playing CS 1.6
- The "hitboxes" for the original CS 1.6 models are smaller than the larger CZ models, so to get a better headshot, install the CS 1.6 original character models (gotta Google it! Sorry guys, I couldn't find the official Steam Support page that I originally followed to replace the models or I would've posted it right here for ya'll...)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CS 1.6 Pro Binds:
- At the main screen, open your console with the tilde (~) button. It should be next to the number "1" on your keyboard.
- Copy-paste the following binds in your console one at a time:
hud_fastswitch 1
cl_dynamiccrosshair 0
fps_max 101
rate 100000
cl_updaterate 100
cl_cmdrate 105
ex_interp 0

ScorpioN's Personal Shopping Binds (used for Scrims too!):
- I am a lazy person and I don't spend much time buying each item on the screen. lol
- On the main screen, open your console with the tilde (~) button again
- Copy-paste the following shopping binds in your console one at a time:
bind j "m4a1; ak47; buyammo1; buyammo1; vesthelm; defuser"
bind k "vesthelm; defuser"
bind l "awp; buyammo1; vesthelm; defuser"
bind i "hegren"
bind o "flash"
bind p "deagle; buyammo2; buyammo2; vesthelm; defuser"
** Package J is your standard AK/M4 weapons package. I normally buy this if my money is greater than or equal to $5000.
** Package K is what you would buy for pistol round
** Package L is your standard AWP package
** Package P is your standard Deagle package. It is what I would buy if my money is less than $5000.
**** Note: I do not feel it is necessary to have a total of 120 rounds in an AK/M4. 90 rounds total is sufficient to last your 2-3 rounds unless you spray all the time.

ScorpioN's CS 1.6 Radio Binds: (just for fun)
bind F1 "go"
bind F2 "stormfront"
bind F3 "sticktog"
bind F4 "roger"
bind F5 "negative"
bind F6 "takepoint"
bind F7 "sectorclear"
bind F8 "holdpos"
bind F9 "fallback"
bind F10 "getout"
bind z "needbackup"
bind x "coverme"
bind c "enemyspot"
bind v "enemydown"
bind h "takingfire"

MISC Binds:
bind "n" "say timeleft; say nextmap"
bind f - microphone (not console command. Change this in your CS menu.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OPTIONAL: Gaming Mouse - Razer Deathadder
-- This mouse was desgined for CS 1.6. Bind your HE-grenades and Flash grenades to mousebuttons 4 and 5 respectively in your console:
bind "mouse4" "use weapon_hegrenade"
bind "mouse5" "use weapon_flashbang"
-- Playing CS with the Deathadder, the optimal sensitivity I found was 2.4 (change this in the CS menu settings)
*** Sadly, after 3 years, my Razer Deathadder finally died but it was great playing CS with it while it lasted!

Revelation:
- Playing Counter-Strike has vastly improved my reflexes (and my driving for that matter. lol) Even when I walk, I have a habit of checking corners with my peripheral vision; checking that there is nobody there trying to jump me. All in all, I notice that I am more attuned to my surroundings. Counter-Strike is indeed a life-changing game if you learn it right.

Hope this guide has helped you a little on knowing where to start.
I'm also open to any questions/feedback anybody might have!

Strength & Honor,
ScorpioN

[Update 12/30/2012]

AK-47 Shooting Guide

General Breakdown:
AK-47 Short-Range: [Crouch] + [Spray]
AK-47 Mid-Range: [Crouch] + [Tapping]
AK-47 Long-Range: [Strafe] + [2-shot bursts]

** Note: Recently I have been testing Mid-Range Tapping with the AK in Deathmatch and it is highly effective!!

AK-47 Short-Range: [Crouch] + [Spray]
If the enemy is at short range, immediately [Crouch], drag your mouse down, and spray at the enemy's mid-section. Follow the bullets with your eyes for shot-placement.

AK-47 Mid-Range: [Crouch] + [Tapping]
If the enemy is at mid-range, immediately [Crouch], aim for your enemy (generally his body, doesn't have to be his head but that would be ideal), and "Tap" your left-mouse button rapidly for 1-shot bursts. While tapping, be sure to watch the crosshair of your AK and make sure it settles enough on the recoil to actually land the shot. Also, be sure not to tap too rapidly! You'll find the right rhythm with practice. =]

AK-47 Long-Range: [Strafe] + [2-shot bursts]
Execution of Strafe-Shoot: Initially shoot a 2-round burst (aimed at head), then walk left [A] for 2 steps, then stop immediately with the opposite direction key [D, in this case.] Shoot a 2-round burst from your AK/M4 again. Rinse and repeat, strafing right first this time and stopping immediately.
- On your keyboard it will be as follows: Burst, [A] for 2 steps, then immediately stop with [D], pause for Burst, [D] for 2 steps, then immediately stop with [A], then pause to Burst again.
** This technique is best practiced on an Aim map such as, aim_ak-colt
- Strafing left and right between 2-shot bursts merely allows you not to be a "sitting duck" while waiting for your AK/M4 to settle down from recoil.
Last edited by ScorpioN on Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:09 pm, edited 34 times in total.

sammy
Site Admin

Re: ScorpioN's Guide to Basic Counter-Strike

Post by sammy » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:05 pm

very nice...im impressed!

ScorpioN

Post by ScorpioN » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:17 pm

Thanks! I'll try to keep it updated and make it more comprehensive in the future.

Ynce

Post by Ynce » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:05 pm

Nothing about mouse acceleration? That's like the most important thing! It's the first thing I fix when I install CS ;)
I'm Swedish. Cheating and being Swedish is NOT the same thing ;)

-=cRiMiNiMiNaL=-

Post by -=cRiMiNiMiNaL=- » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:10 pm

ScorpioN wrote: CS 1.6 Pro Binds:
- At the main screen, open your console with the tilde (~) button. It should be next to the number "1" on your keyboard.
- Copy-paste the following binds in your console one at a time:
hud_fastswitch 1
cl_dynamiccrosshair 0
fps_max 101
rate 30000
cl_updaterate 101
cl_cmdrate 101

Very nice but the settings in red depend wholly on your internet speed. You have to calibrate these to find the best setting for you. All the rest is pretty much dead on for the settings I use and prefer, great minds think alike. ;)

ladyToOLs

Post by ladyToOLs » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:34 pm

Nice tips!! I'll try some of them out! You're the best, Scorpion!

ScorpioN

Post by ScorpioN » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:24 pm

Thanks crim! Yea the settings in red depend on your net speed for sure!
ladyToOLs wrote:Nice tips!! I'll try some of them out! You're the best, Scorpion!
:D Thanks ladytools!

ScorpioN

Post by ScorpioN » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:31 pm

[Update 12/30/2012]

AK-47 Shooting Guide

:D

sammy
Site Admin

Post by sammy » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:42 am

i knew there was a reason you got promoted ;)

ScorpioN

Post by ScorpioN » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:39 am

sammy wrote:i knew there was a reason you got promoted ;)
lol aww shucks, thank you don sammy :P

Return to “CS tips and helpful hints!”